Every good leader is searching for the answers. We are looking for the code that unlocks the passageway to leadership. The reality is that there are no answers. Every team or group brings a different dynamic. Team members bring different personalities with different hot buttons. The obstacles you will face along your journey will change from season to season. I spent 10 years teaching at a school where I had to replace every member of my team every year. Some viewed this as a most impossible job, but for me, I saw it as the greatest leadership training I could ever have. I was able to experiment, make mistakes, and try it again the next year. However, the one thing I learned about teams is that no team is the same. As soon as I thought I cracked the code, I found out that it didn’t work the next time. I am still trying to crack the code, and one day, maybe I will. I figure if I write enough ideas down, maybe I will connect the dots.
I have noticed certain themes throughout my career that can be applied to all situations. As I have spent more time researching for this website, I notice them even more. If you want to be successful as a coach, you will need to implement each of these traits into your DNA. For me, I will spend the next season trying to instill these traits into my coaching. If each of my players can pick up on these traits, by extension, my team will evolve into a successful team. Here are 10 traits of successful coaches, leaders, people.
- Don’t give up – are you willing to see things through to the end?
- You have to want it more than the other guy – drive, grit, determination are keys to any successful person. If you don’t want it, someone else does. You have to compete for what is yours.
- You have to work hard – a strong work ethic is important in any endeavour.
- Set lofty goals and reach for the stars – the higher you reach the more you will achieve. If you want to achieve greatness, then you have to reach for greatness.
- Continually raise the bar – if you are not challenging yourself to be better, there ill be someone closing the gap behind you.
- You will fall and you will be tested – Do not doubt yourself and keep running. Failure puts you one step closer to success. Use it as an opportunity to learn.
- Stay positive – a positive mindset will carry you through the difficult times. There is always a silver lining in any difficult situation. Your attitude will affect your ability to perform in the clutch.
- You will be defined by your relationships – building good relationships is the key to a happy life. When you look back on what you have accomplished, it will be nothing without the people in your life.
- You have to be committed to your goals – you must be invested in your achievement. Without commitment, you will not be willing to push through the challenges ahead.
- Don’t ever give up – this may be cheating, but I can’t stress it enough. If you want it bad enough, you will find a way. Champions will continue to push no matter how hard the road or how long it takes.
I have been on a journey towards success, and I have been looking for the road map. I think this is a great place to start. I am sure there are more pieces to finding the keys to success, but if you have a tireless work ethic, passion, vision, a positive attitude, respect for others, and a commitment to see things through to the end no matter what it takes, then how can you not find success? I don’t see any answer other than success.
Does anyone have any other ideas? I would love to hear from those of you who are reading this blog. Please leave a comment and let me know if I missed anything.